Multilingual Management With WPML And Portoporto_admin
WPML (The WordPress Multilingual Plugin) is one of the most popular translation plugins on the market. With WPML you can translate pages, posts, custom types, taxonomy, menus and even the theme’s texts. We work directly with the WPML team to guarantee 100% compatibility between Porto and the WPML plugin.
To get started with Porto and WPML, you will need:
- A recent version of Porto (6.4.1 or above).
- A recent version of WPML (version 3.7 or above), including the String Translation, and Media translation add-ons.
Translating Your Content
With WPML and Porto, you can translate pages and posts and Porto Elements added to any page or post. Our Porto elements are all supported by WPML.
1. WPML Translate Everything Mode
This is the quickest way to get your site translated. See this documentation for more details.
All of the site’s main content will be automatically translated into all secondary languages as content is published or updated. Translations can then be reviewed on the front-end and edited by the user (or local translator) if needed.
2. WPML Translate Some Mode
You can pick and choose what to translate, when to translate it, and who will translate it. This mode allows for content to be translated manually, translated via WPML’s Advanced Translation Editor, translated by professional translation services, or even translated by a team of local translators.
Translating theme and plugin texts, including widgets and general texts
WPML String Translation allows you to translate texts that are not in posts, pages, and taxonomies. This includes the site’s tagline, general texts in admin screens, widget titles, and many other texts. Please refer to this documentation – string translation.
Translating taxonomies and menus
Taxonomies and menus should be translated automatically if the user chooses Translate Everything. Here is the WPML documentation which explains the process of translating taxonomies and translating menus for when the Translate Some mode is selected.
Translating WooCommerce elements using WooCommerce Multilingual
WPML comes with the WooCommerce Multilingual addon which allows users to fully translate their online store. Please refer to detailed WPML documentation for WooCommerce.
WPML’s Advanced Translation Editor
WPML also offer an Advanced Translation Editor. The editor comes with key features like machine translation, a glossary, translation memory, spell checker, HTML-less editing, and more. To use it, it needs to be first activated on the WPML -> Settings page.The main features it offers are these:
- HTML Markers – The Advanced Translation Editor allows visual translation without having to edit HTML.
- Machine Translation – The Advanced Translation Editor allows you to auto-translate the whole page at once, or a specific sentence you are currently editing. It supports most of the world languages.
- Translation Memory – The Advanced Translation Editor breaks the content into sentences, allowing the editor to keep track of all the translated text. If there are repetitions, the editor will find and auto-complete the same phrases for you.
- Glossary – The Advanced Translation Editor contains a Glossary, that allows you to inform translators of important keywords and phrases for which you want to suggest translations.
- Spell checker – The built-in spell checker helps you avoid spelling errors and typos.